Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Soul Not So Strong Anymore?

It's quite likely that even the most die-hard Philly sports fan didn't notice that Derrick Strong was cut from the Philadelphia Soul on May 19. While this type of transaction wouldn't normally catch my attention, I just had to think about what a shame it is to have a last name like Strong and get cut from a professional football team.

Kind of like a guy named Takeo Spikes getting cut from the Eagles.

Or like Bill Champion, a Phils' pitcher in the 70s, never even making it to the playoffs.

Or like Don Biggs being one of the smallest guys on the Flyers in 1989-90.

Or like Dave Hoppen, a 6-11" center for the Sixers, only recording 29 blocks in his NBA career of 169 games.

Ok, so I don't know what my point is. I guess one's last name does not necessarily reflect on the field/ice/court performance, or something like that.

No comments: