Sunday, October 5, 2008

Small Request to Charlie Manuel

Ok, this has been bugging me since Charlie Manuel first became manager of the Phillies.

Scenario:

It's time for a pitching change in the middle of an inning.

Coach Manuel walks to the mound.

And walks.

And keeps walking.

And what does he forget?

Oh yeah-- to signal to the bullpen to send the pitcher in.

Just a thought, Charlie... when first stepping onto the field from the dugout, wave to the bullpen right away so you don't forget. It's a long walk out to that mound and anything can happen from start to finish.

In today's playoff game against the Brewers, he walked all the way out to the mound and then finally waved in the middle of conversation with the players who had convened together. Oy.

It's a simple matter, really. Just wave.

1 comment:

Uncle Brando said...

Mike,

One possible reason for delaying the wave to the bullpen is that he is giving his reliever a few more seconds to warm up before bringing him in.

Then again, I noticed other times that managers signaled instantly. I felt it was slightly disrespectful to the pitcher. As a former pitcher myself, I know that there are few worse feelings than when your coach/manager takes you out for a different pitcher...it means you failed. I appreciated when my coach/manager would come out, say, "Good job, but it's time to bring someone else in to get us out of here" and then motioned to the new pitcher. It was reassuring and reduced the sting.

Just my thoughts...