Friday, February 2, 2007

A Star Sneaks In

So this post isn't really about Philly sports, as per usual, though I thought it was worth chatting about. Take a look at this bit of news...

http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=local&id=4994132

If you don't feel like reading the whole thing, here's the gist:

Stephon Marbury has a new line of sneaks called Starbury 1's. He's having them priced at $14.95 per pair. That's almost a 10th of the price of other brand name bball sneakers, a la Jordans. That's pretty cool in my book. To make matters even sharper, he is giving free sneakers to 1,600+ high school boys and girls who play on their high school basketball teams in Philly.

Hopefully this trend will continue and other prima donna athletes will follow his lead. I think back to when I tried out for basketball in middle school and kids asking me how much I paid for my shoes. Maybe now kids will high five each other for buying kicks from the bargain bin. And start focusing on playing "real" basketball instead...

No comments: