Saturday, March 22, 2008

An Editorial on Basketball: College vs. NBA

Pardon me while I express my opinion for a moment.

I've been glued to the NCAA tournament this weekend. It's always been one of my favorite sporting events, and probably my current favorite event, and not just because it's fun to fill out brackets. It's because I'm simply amazed at the level of play in the vast majority of games... unlike what goes on in the NBA on most nights.

I'm admittedly disenchanted with the NBA game. Sure, it's the cream of the basketball crop, but I feel like the game has no energy compared to the college game. NBA players slack off on defense, the crowd isn't into it in the same way as college (so to make up for it, NBA teams try to pump in loud music to make it seem like it's exciting), and I just get the feeling that NBA players don't really care if they lose because they've got it made otherwise. In the college game, players zoom up and down the floor, cover their men on defense with only inches to spare, and are genuinely distraught when they lose. It's like two different worlds.

To put it in perspective, while I'm happy that the Sixers are doing well and in line for a playoff bid, I just can't get as excited as I would for, say, Villanova, a team (one of many in the tourney) that fights and scraps and energizes the fans.

Plus you can go to a college game and not have to get a second mortgage on your house unlike an NBA game.

That's my opinion. Thank you.

No comments: