Friday, March 28, 2008

Phillies' Opening Day Memory: 2002

Allow me to reminisce for a spell.

With the Phillies' opening day less than 3 days away, I'm harkening back to the Phillies' home opener six years ago. Actually I don't think it was the home opener but it was definitely one of the first games of the first home series. Who needs exact details?

Anyway, I don't remember a single moment from the game. It was just another non-descript Phils game from a dull team in unremarkable Veterans Stadium. This was back in the days of Travis Lee, Joe Roa, and yes, Nick Punto. So I do remember that much. But even moreso, I most definitely do remember the weather.

It was NASTY.

It must have been about 30 degrees, and having the pleasure to stand on the frozen concrete of the Vet was nothing short of dismal. The wind whipping around the top of the stadium's bowl in the 500 level didn't help a bit either. I remember my cousin having to go to the bathroom where there was a heat vent and he had to thaw out his feet. Some baseball weather...

On the bright side, I got the tickets for free from the neighborhood bank that I went to every day to take checking deposits for my work downtown. That was nice of them. I think it was Citizens Bank, but even that's a bit fuzzy now.

But the cold is not fuzzy in my memory.

I'm looking forward to attending the Phillies opening day game on Monday but hopefully the weather will be more favorable.

And without a doubt the team will be much better than from the days of yore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the result, Mike. Hope you weren't expecting anything different for an opener. :(