Sunday, June 3, 2007

Steve Jeltz Shoutout in Today's Phillies' Game!


For those of you watching today's wacky Phils/Giants game on the boob tube in the Philly market, you probably caught the Aflac trivia question of the day. It went something like this:

Name the only two French-born players to record a stolen base in either the AL or NL.

Answer:

Bruce Bochy (current San Francisco Giants coach)
Steve Jeltz (ex-Phillie extraordinaire)

Upon further inspection on Baseball-reference.com (search Jeltz, click on France), it turns out that Mr. Jeltz is actually the all-time stolen bases leader for players born in France. As a matter of fact he leads all French players in several other categories, including doubles, triples, and RBIs, to name a few. Who knew?

Jeltzy sure could swing a mean baguette!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mike,

I live in Canada and I met Steve Jeltz in Montreal, Canada. We were good friends for 3 years until I enrolled in the Canadian Forces in 1989 which I lost track of him especially because he started playing with the Royals. I tried to reach him by sending e-mail to the baseball team where he use to play but they cannot help me. My name is Johanne and I just hope that one day I will be able to say hi to Steve and talk about the old times. Steve is a very good person with a big heart. Not so bad player after all. You probably won't be able to help me but at least I said my peace. I now live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada and still with the Canadian Forces trying to make the best of this world. God bless you J.Madore

Anonymous said...

Wow! I am very excited about finding someone who is still talking steve: I met steve in clearwater back in '83.... hot hot hot...and yes a wonderful person...i would love to reconnect with him. if you ever find him and he's NOT married...Oh please let him know that he can find me by email boohoowineygirly@yahoo.com ....

Shaun3480 said...

If you people that are looking for Steve Jeltz still want to know where he is drop me a line at sandmw@sbcglobal.net. He lives in my town and I talk to him occasionally.